Which HGV Licence Do You Need To Have For Driving A Bus?

Whenever you ask a child what they would like to be after they grow up, usually there are just a few answers that you tend to hear, with one of the most popular ones being ‘bus driver.’ How can you blame them? Having the ability to drive around in a 12.5-tonne vehicle around, and transporting people from one place to the next and getting them to wherever they need to good is a great goal to have. With Category C Licence you will be eligible to drive an LGV over 3,500kg Bus driving is an extremely popular and rewarding job, and many people sign up to take the big wheels on. But what training do you need to have and what other things are required to become a bus driver?

Bus Driver Licence and Requirements

The government is fairly strict about driving larger vehicles, especially those that transport people rather than good. There are basic requirements that must be met by anyone who wants to drive a larger vehicle, including the following:

Hold a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC)
Hold a full car licence
Be over 18 years old

However, if you would like to drive any type of bus (with or without an attached trailer), there are a couple more qualifications that you will need. As a base, you will need to have a CAT D licence, and if you would like to attach a trailer to a bus then you will need to have a CAT D+E licence. These licences can be obtained have you receive your Driver CPC in order to drive professionally. However, if you would like to drive a bus as a non-professional capacity, you will also need to be over 24 years old. A CAT D licence will allow you to drive any vehicle or bus with more than 8 passenger seats with any type of tracked vehicle (if you would like to drive a tank or something). A CAT B licence will be needed.

The CAT B Licence

You will need to obtain your CAT B licence before you can get a CAT D licence. That may sound like a great deal of work. However, we do have good news on that front. CAT B licence is merely an industry term for a standard full driver’s licence. With a CAT B licence you are able to drive vehicles of up to a maximum of 3,500kg authorised mass with a maximum of 8 passenger seats – cars, in other words. This licence also lets you tow up to 750kg trailers, and if you are over 21 years old, a motor tricycle that has an over 15kw power output. Since you are considering a career as not just a driver, but as a specialised one. Therefore, we assume you have this licence covered already.

What Is Covered In CAT D Licence Training?

So you need to have a CAT D licence if you would like to become a bus driver. Like other LGV and HGV licences, there are two parts to the CAT D: practical and theory. The training program has been designed specifically to teach you how to professionally drive a bus safely and to get you set up to be employed afterwards as a bus driver. The training includes the following:

The regulations and rules of the road, with a specific focus on
The vehicle’s general fixtures and maintenance
Customer service
Everything regarding the safety of the passengers, you, and other individuals who share the road
Far-sightedness and risk management

By the time the training is complete, you will need to sit for both the practical and theory tests, and you will be set to become a bus driver if you pass.

How Do I Obtain My CAT D Licence?

Come and talk to us! Easy as HGV offers a selection of HGV training courses, which includes Driver CPC and CAT D classes for new drivers. You will receive a crash course, with our assistance, in overall large vehicle driving, and in particular, bus driving. Our team will also help you find your first bus driver job, providing you with the best start possible for your brand new career.