May perhaps 30, 2022 · 7:00 AM
Periodically there are outbreaks of illness brought on by eating contaminated leafy greens. The contaminants are typically microorganisms this kind of as E coli and Salmonella. The disease is commonly diarrhea, sometimes with tummy cramps, nausea, and vomiting. And uncommon deaths.
Cathe Friedrich released an intriguing posting about this phenomenon. In this article are a number of bullet factors (I haven’t independently confirmed):
- Leafy greens such as lettuce are connected to 22% of food poisoning outbreaks around above the last 10 a long time
- The riskiest leafy green is bagged, completely ready-to-provide lettuce
A handful of ways to avoid foodborne health issues:
- Prevent pre-packaged leafy greens
- Steer clear of sprouts
- Hold the deliver refrigerated and dry
- Consume before the expiration day
Steve Parker, M.D.